Saturday, February 4, 2012

Thick Skin


Thick skin is a must in the fashion industry. If you are serious about getting involved as a model, or anything in the industry for that matter, remember that you have to succumb to regular rejections and hard criticism.  It can be quite sobering and can create serious mental afflictions such as eating disorder, drug abuse and very poor self esteem!


I have been called everything in the book and as a child, I allowed it to fester and grow into self hatred.  Luckily I have since learned to cope and understand that a photographer or designers idea of beauty may be completely off kilter and nothing like society's :"norm": And I have also learned to embrace my differences and flaws and love what God and my mother gave me despite what others may believe.  This, to me, is more important than how low or high my body mass may be or how tall I am.  If I can go home after a casting and still love myself, then I am doing my job and fulfilling my personal needs.

You may think that you can handle this industry, but you need to allow your sensibility to outweigh your desire to be in magazines.  Living a dream is not worth losing yourself over!  Trust me.  I have lived it, loved it...HATED IT, and learned! 

1 comment:

  1. I think this is wonderful advice. Any business where you are being judged on how you look, how you write, how you sing, etc. you must develop a thick skin. <3

    ReplyDelete